Monday 9 August 2010

Chris's Interests - Astronomy


Astronomy is a hobby of mine and the planet Saturn was the first planet I saw through my telescope. Ever since my Grandad gave me his monocular when I was a kid, I've been looking at the stars in the night sky, even if the Scottish weather sometimes makes it difficult. Soon after that, I got a book on Astronomy so I could begin to learn the names and locations of some stars, and eventually I was able to find my way around the night sky without having to look at the book! Nowadays, there are plenty of free pieces of software available on the internet or even on your mobile phone that shows you what the night sky looks like at any particular time. Ever since the launch of the Hubble Space Telescope, our view of the cosmos has changed forever. Sadly, it is not possible to get such a good view of the universe from a simple telescope based in your own back garden. Fortunately, with websites like NASA's Astronomy Picture Of The Day and Hubblesite.org, it is easy to find amazing pictures and keep up to date with all the new discoveries being made about our universe. But there is nothing like being able to look at the cosmos for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment