Monday 9 August 2010

Chris's Interests - Classic Games!


Me, playing Subbuteo on my Mum's dinner table.
Games have always played a big part of my life, and they still do. This picture, from about 1983-4, shows me playing Subbuteo on the dinner table! Other games that I used to play as a kid were Risk, Careers, Game of Life and the famous role-playing game, Dungeons and Dragons (D&D). When we moved to Winton Terrace in 1986, we had a double garage where I kept my snooker table, which used to double up as a gaming table. There, my friends Ross, Stuart, Ian, Lee, Paul and I used to play D&D... unfortunately, once we reached a certain age, it became difficult to play the game for long without laughing. One night, Ross's character found himself confronted by a donkey. He asked me, the Dungeon Master, if the donkey could speak the same language as him, so I checked the rule book... and it did! We both burst out laughing at the idea of a talking donkey (bearing in mind this was long before Shrek!) and the game finished... and to my memory, we never played it again. One of my favourite memories was a board game that my cousin Richard and I made ourselves called Tour De France, which we made by merging the real board games 'Grand Prix' and the war game 'La Belle Alliance' (a Napoleonic War simulation!).

Dungeons & Dragons - Basic Rules Players Manual. 
Nowadays, most of the games I play are on gaming consoles, such as Gran Turismo on the Playstation, Forza Motorsport on the Xbox, and Lux on the PC. I still play board games with some gaming friends, as well as playing poker with my old school friends from time to time!

No comments:

Post a Comment