Monday 9 August 2010

A history in computer gaming - The Machines Pt. 1

Left: Dataman; Right: Cave Man
My first 'computer' was a Dataman, a handheld computer that let you play various number games either by yourself or with two players. After that, we got a Cave Man, which was the nearest thing to having an arcade machine in your home (at the time, anyway!). I used to love going to amusement arcades whenever we were on holiday, or when we went to somewhere like Portobello beach, where I would play 'Pole Position' and later, 'Out Run' - both driving games...

Commodore 64 complete with tape deck
Sometime in the early-mid 1980's, my parents got me a Commodore 64 computer for Christmas. My friends had a variety of different computers... Ross had a Commodore Vic 20, Stuart had a Sinclair ZX Spectrum, Ian had an Acorn Electron, and my cousins Richard and Grant had an Amstrad CPC464. The Commodore 64 used to load up games using an external tape deck. Some of the most memorable games were 'Ghosts and Goblins', 'Pitstop II', 'Olympic Skier', 'BC's Quest For Tires', 'Hungry Horace' and 'Jet Set Willy'. The Commodore 64 provided years of fun, but eventually it was replaced... but nowadays, it is possible to play these games using a C64 simulator on a PC!


No comments:

Post a Comment