Monday 9 August 2010

Yes






I discovered Yes when I was about 14 - I used to listen to a radio show called "Alan Freeman's Saturday/Sunday Rock show", and I first heard the song 'Roundabout' from Fragile (1971). It turned out that my Uncle John had lots of Yes albums, so I got to listen to the whole album before deciding on buying the CD. I remember thinking that it sounded kind of 'old', but I loved it anyway. I then bought Close To The Edge (1972) which is still one of my favourite albums of all time. The Yes Album (1970) was next for me, and the track 'Starship Trooper' became a favourite. The next two albums I bought were Relayer (1974) and Tales From Topographic Oceans (1973). While 'The Gates Of Delirium' (from Relayer) was great, it took a while to enjoy the rest of the album. I never really got into 'Tales...' much, but I still like the first song, 'The Revealing Science of God'. Going For The One (1977) is the last of the great Yes albums for me, and it contains one of their best tracks, the 15 minute long epic 'Awaken'. I also bought Yessongs (live album), the Yesyears boxset, Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe, and Union, with Yessongs being the best of that set of albums. Of the six albums mentioned here, I have bought four of them on CD for a second time (as remastered editions), and so I have bought more Yes albums than any other artist! As well as that, I also recommend 'Olias Of Sunhillow' by Jon Anderson and 'Fish Out Of Water' by Chris Squire.


No comments:

Post a Comment